Mushroom Crusted Tilapia
Yield: 4 filets
Popcorn's A-Maize-ing Versatility
- 2 cups popped popcorn
- 1/2 cup dried shiitake or porcini mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 (1 1/4 lbs) tilapia filets Lemon wedges, for serving
- Place popcorn, mushrooms, onion powder, garlic powder and salt in a blender (or food processor) and blend until powdery and almost smooth; pour into a wide, shallow bowl.
- Beat egg in a shallow bowl; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Dip tilapia into egg and then into popcorn mixture, coating both sides. Cook tilapia about 3 minutes per side or until fish is golden and center is cooked.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
Variation: Substitute boneless, skinless chicken breasts for tilapia and adjust cooking time as needed.