Adobo and Roasted Peanut Popcorn
Yield: 4 quarts
Viva El Flavor
- 4 quarts unbuttered and unsalted popcorn (air popped)
- 1/4 cup peanuts
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce (from one 7-ounce can chipotle chilies in adobo sauce; reserve chilies for other use) OR 1 tablespoon chipotle pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper (or foil sprayed with cooking spray). Spread popcorn and peanuts onto prepared baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg white, sugar, adobo sauce and salt until foamy. Pour over popcorn and toss to coat evenly.
- Bake 20 minutes, stirring once midway through baking time. Cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
*Note: the use of egg white helps the flavors adhere to the popcorn, without adding fat through the more traditional use of oils.