Coconut-Popcorn Crunch Pie
Yield: 12 servings
Thrilling, Chilling Treats
- 2 quarts popped popcorn, unsalted
- 1 can (4 ounce) flaked coconut, toasted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 quart vanilla, spumoni or butter pecan ice cream
- Sweetened fresh or defrosted frozen fruit or chocolate sauce, if desired
- 1 12-inch pizza pan.
- Mix popcorn and coconut in a large buttered bowl. Combine sugar, syrup, butter or margarine, water and salt in saucepan. Bring to boil over low heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Continue cooking until syrup reaches the hard crack stage (290-295 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Stir in vanilla. Pour syrup in fine stream over popcorn mixture; stir until particles are evenly coated with syrup.
- Turn half of popcorn mixture onto buttered 12-inch pizza pan; spread in thin layer covering bottom of pan. Mark off into wedge-shaped servings. Repeat using remaining popcorn mixture; cool.
- Cover one layer with ice cream; top with second popcorn layer. Store in freezer. To serve, cut in wedges. Serve plain or with desired fruit or sauce.