Easy Oven Caramel Corn
Yield: 5 quarts
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 1 hour
- 5 quarts popped popcorn
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine
- 2 cups brown sugar, packed firmly
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Optional nuts - choose one:
- 1 cup salted peanuts
- 1 cup whole almonds
- 1 cup pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Line a large, rimmed baking pan (17x 12-inch) with foil and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Spray a large mixing bowl (not plastic) lightly with cooking spray and place popcorn inside.
- Spread optional nuts over popcorn, if desired.
- In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, combine butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and salt.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Lower heat and boil 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Quickly stir in vanilla and baking soda.
- Quickly pour hot mixture over popcorn; stir well to coat.
- Spread evenly into prepared pan and bake 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Cool completely in pan; store in an airtight container.
Clean-up tip: Soak saucepan before cleaning.